Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Undying Fascination For Hary Potter Series



I now remember when I am still in second year highschool, year 2001, when this phenomenal wizard Harry Potter conquered the whole world in the big screen. 

Before that, few of my classmates are die hard fans of Harry, being so proud to have read the seven books about him. And, I was just like 'ok, I can still watch Potter in movie'. But, actually, I am not very fond of reading novel books and preferred to watch films more.




When I was in highschool, I don't like reading novel books or some short stories because my English was not that good, and I could still remember the time I tried reading the first chapter of part 1 of the book series when I looked for a dictionary because I always pause in the middle of the sentences. In short, I had a poor vocabulary back then. So, I told myself before, and to myself alone, that I will never read the book again and will just wait for the time it will be shown on cinema.

But, I never told anyone of that, ofcourse. Of what? That I have a poor command in English. (I'm laughing to myself, right now)

I don't know for sure, but in high school it's embarassing to show my classmates that I have poor English, and so on and so forth, when most of them keep on  boasting about their reading skills unconsciously, and which is really true. My highschool classmates were really good in English.
COMPLETE BOOK SET OF HARRY POTTER SERIES
There was this time, my classmate A and I in front of our classmates have this argument of whether reading the book is better than watching the film based on it. We are in this "karinderya" we use to call Jollibering, where I and most of my classmates eat our lunch because our houses are far from school, and where I believe is the second place where we used to have forum, just next to  library. It's not a very long debate, but one thing that seems so surprising is when I told her and the rest of my classmates that it's good to watch film than to read the book, all of them disagreed. I was like me versus the Republic of the Philippines. And, I was just like revolting only in my head as everyone agreed with each other. Are they f**kng serious of what they're saying?

Honestly, during that time, I felt like an idiot of defending myself, and think they're stupid of how they could like reading a book when they're seeing nothing. My other classmate said, in reading a book, the imagination is limitless as compared to films that has to rely on budget. Again, only in my head, I revolted. Is he trying to say that my brain has some patches already? What is their minds like? Are they trying to insult me?

What the fox says?


For all these years I really wonder why? And even some realiable sources said that they are right about this notion of which is good, reading or watching? And, ofcourse for the majority, it's reading.

Yeah, yeah, alright, alright! But, I'm firm with my decision, that watching film is better than reading. Why, I guess that is to say, gone are the days when super power such as laser beam that seemed to be done by Word Paint used to impress the crowd in the old times. Now, we used to laugh with those "special effects", am I right?

Because films right now are created with softwares to make it more realistic for the viewers to see, thus could match or even surpass one's vivid imagination.

However, for saying this, part of me was guilty of using a defense mechanism as I try to hide my weakness, and that is my poor command in English. It feels like, it's really hard to admit  that you cannot clearly picture out the story event in your head while most of them can. What a loser am I?

To make the story short, I ended up watching the film and the succeeding films for consecutive years without reading the seven books. Time passes by, and I learn a lot of things, which is an inevitable part of our growth.

Harry Potter Golden Snitch Pendant Pocket Watch Necklace Wings Chain Gift


I am surfing the internet when I typed 'Ha' as I search for the word Happy Feet for I am trying to look for its synopsis and will try to write a personal movie review about the film, but ended up with the name of Harry Potter. And, I think I was caught by some spell. I'm just kidding. (I'm laughing to myself again)

My memory sinked back again as I recall about this Harry Potter fever. Yes guys, he's feverish and illed, just kidding. He's the great wizard of Hogwarts and not Oz.

So, I find some ways to grab a copy of the books' e-book. Oh, I'm sorry, but is it fine to just say books' e-book or simply e-book? Or maybe, what I am trying to say is the books' electronic form.

The Complete Harry Potter Film Music Collection

Anyway, again, to make the story short, after reading Harry Potter e-book series, I realized that there are lots of benefits of reading text than to watch the film although, again, I like watching films more than reading.

However, I think, and would like to encourage that for those who already watched the films without reading the books should and must do it now. Why? I just recently find the answer in my own experience reading the ebooks.

Well, this, is to say that somehow I have a better vocabulary as compared in highschool and tries to understand some unfamiliar words in text by looking the whole sentence of the paragraph. I really enjoyed reading the ebooks very very very much.

THE UNOFFICIAL HP SPELLBOOK

The number one reason is that the ebook could clearly tell the whole information in the text as compared to the film that had missed to show it, or had been shown but not clearly delivered and understood by the viewers. Personally, when I watched the film, I did not enjoy the diaglogue that much because aside from the British accent, I find it really hard to follow their conversation, but one thing is for sure, I enjoyed the movie series because of special effects and magics, and what I mean is the literal 'magic'.

In contrast, I think I had made the right decision of watching the films first before reading the ebooks. Why? Lets say I had this poor imagination as for trying to reel those images out from the text. Well, in my case, I really enjoy reading the ebooks because the movie I had watched somehow supplemented the images of the characters and settings making it easy for me to imagine those things as I read. Thank goodness. 

So please, do consider to read the book series of Harry Potter if ever you only watched the films. And it's more fun to read it many times when you already had the copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment